Epilepsy Management – Seizure Tracking and Alerting to Improve Patient Safety and Quality of Life
About 3 million people in the US (50 million worldwide) suffer from epilepsy and seizure related disorders. Epilepsy is the 3rd most common neurological disorder after Alzheimer’s Disease and stroke. Epilepsy imposes an estimated annual economic burden of $18 billion. Prolonged uncontrolled seizures have a mortality rate of 23%.
It is important that there is timely intervention upon the onset of seizures to arrest the progression. Longitudinal data on the occurrence of seizures, the duration and intensity of seizure episodes, Adverse Drug Effects (ADE) and medication adherence data is valuable for optimizing therapeutic regimens.
Disease Management Solution Provides Improved Outcomes for Healthcare Stakeholders
Acuma Health’s Disease Management (DDM) Solution provides improved outcomes to healthcare stakeholders:
- Better patient health outcomes and quality of life
- Higher member satisfaction and retention; reduced caregiver burden of monitoring epilepsy patients
- Lower plan costs due to timely interventions and utilization of lower cost care settings
- Better formulary management with efficacious and cost-effective drugs
- Real-time, comprehensive and robust data for clinical trials of anti-epileptic drugs
- Optimal treatment depends on characterization of seizures. Currently clinicians depend on inadequate, unreliable patient diaries.
- Acuma Health’s DDM Solution captures longitudinal patient generated health data on seizure activity – frequency of occurrence, duration, intensity, ADEs, and medication compliance including valuable audio and video of seizure activity; replacing inadequate, unreliable patient diaries.
- Enables data-driven decisions for diagnosis and optimal management of epilepsy.
- Optimal seizure tracking and alerts enhance patient safety and improve quality of life
- It also reduces the risk of status epilepticus which has a 23% mortality rate and worse, sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP).
- Longitudinal tracking and alerting upon seizure activity enables timely interventions and minimizes utilization of high cost care settings such as emergency departments and hospitals.
- Medication non-compliance rates in epilepsy are more than 33%.
- There is an 86% increase in seizure-related hospitalizations caused by non-compliance.
- Acuma Health’s DDM Solution provides medication management capabilities including timely reminders and refill notifications and provides a closed loop system that leverages family members and caregivers to optimize medication adherence.
- Avoid medication wastage.