Improved Outcomes for Hemophilia Patients by Leveraging Healthcare Technology
Hemophilia is a severe bleeding disorder resulting from the lack of vital clotting factor that causes profound morbidity and mortality. While it affects only approximately 20,000 Americans, hemophilia remains an important driver of resource utilization, primarily through specialty drug expenditures on clotting factor concentrate and related products that far exceed pharmacy spending in many other chronic disease states. In addition, clinical complications may arise from a variety of issues, including bleeding episodes, joint disease, and inhibitor development.
As a result of these characteristics, hemophilia necessitates a lifetime of intensive management and care strategies delivered by an expert multidisciplinary team to achieve optimal outcomes.
Improving Outcomes in Hemophilia Patients with Data Driven Solutions
The Acuma Health Digital Disease Management (DDM) Solution provides the following benefits to healthcare stakeholders:
- Improve patient self-care & self-empowerment
- Track and monitor factor use to avoid wastage while ensuring adequate supply
- Seamlessly collect and provide standardized metrics to enable payers to determine value
- Comprehensive event driven hemophilia diary with bleed and infusion logs
- Compliance with therapeutic regimens
- Real-time data via a comprehensive hemophilia diary
- Capture standardized hemophilia metrics
- While bleed logs have been the standard of care for determining adherence in patients with bleeding disorders, research has shown that up to 50% of hemophilia patients do not maintain bleed logs, and those who do record infusions only adhere to the prescribed frequency 76% of the time.
- Acuma Health’s DDM Solution enables detailed bleed and infusion logs. Patients are provided with a visual mannequin interface to report data pertaining to bleeding episodes such as bleed areas, pain, and swelling.
- In addition, video and images provide more detailed bleed reports to care teams. The solution allows patients to track prophylactic and on-demand infusions and record the amount of factor used to control the bleed. This enables care teams with identification of optimal trough levels and evaluating the cost-benefit of higher trough levels for prophylactic infusions and resistance to standard therapies.
- The Acuma Health DDM Solution maintains a comprehensive event-driven digital hemophilia diary that provides real-time data to care teams.
- When the patient reports a bleed, care teams are immediately able to monitor the patient and provide guidance on safe infusion of sufficient factor to control the bleed and prevent complications.
- This enables care teams to identify non-compliance patterns, institute clinical interventions related to prescription and over-the-counter medications, and overuse of factor products that can signify waste or inhibitor formation causing resistance to standard therapies.
- These timely interventions by the care team results in reduced morbidity, fewer adverse events and improved quality of life (QOL).
The Acuma Health DDM Solution collects and processes hemophilia patient data and provides timely information to healthcare stakeholders to determine therapy efficacy, complete timely and efficient refill assessments and improve patient safety.
- Bleeding events per month and time to treatment.
- Number of prescription units ordered versus units used.
- Prophylactic and on-demand infusions of factor.
- Utilization of high-cost medical resources such as emergency department visits and hospitalizations.
- Monitor and track medication recalls or expirations and quickly notify patients impacted by these.