Healthcare Technology to Improve Outcomes for Oncology Patients
Oncology is the 3rd most expensive specialty area after inflammatory conditions and MS.
Frequently, a multidisciplinary approach to treatment is necessary, requiring patients to engage with numerous medical teams comprising several different specialties, often in different locations. The onus is on healthcare stakeholders to be able to manage patients’ care in order to minimize distress and maximize clinical outcomes.
In addition, the bulk of oncology care happens when the patient is away from the clinic. The burden of cancer care and cancer survivorship care on the health systems is increasing more rapidly than what the patient numbers suggest.
Disease Management Solution Provides Improved Outcomes for Healthcare Stakeholders
Acuma Health’s Disease Management (DDM) Solution enables healthcare stakeholders address the inherent challenges in oncology by providing the following outcomes:
- Better patient health outcomes and quality of life
- Longer duration of palliative chemotherapy
- Superior quality adjusted survival
- Lower plan costs due to real-time notifications to care teams, timely interventions, and utilization of lower cost care settings
- Real-time, comprehensive data to assess functional status and therapeutic efficacy for clinical trials of oncology drugs
- Patient Reported Outcomes (ePRO) and Symptoms Management
- Better adherence to clinical pathways
- Comprehensive longitudinal data to assess Performance Status (PS)
- Clinical benefits have been associated with efficient and timely reporting and management of symptoms and other patient outcomes.
- Acuma Health’s DDM Solution provides a comprehensive PRO capability facilitating early detection and management of symptoms. The application collects, processes, and notifies care teams on patient reported outcomes in a timely manner.
- Acuma Health’s DDM Solution provides an intuitive way for patients to report symptoms, pain, swelling, or other dermatological conditions via a visual mannequin interface. Patients can also upload images and video to supplement symptom data.
- High-quality oncology clinical pathways are detailed, evidence-based treatment protocols for delivering cancer care to patients with specific disease types and stages. Oncology pathways serve as important tools in improving care quality and reducing costs.
- Acuma Health’s DDM Solution engages patients and makes them partners in their own care. It provides a closed loop system that acquires patient generated health data in a frictionless manner and provides real-time notifications and insights to care team members to maximize adherence to oncology pathways.
- Assessment of performance (or functional) status (PS) is a fundamental measure that informs treatment decisions and predicts outcomes in cancer. PS correlates to response to chemotherapy and prognosis. Today, this is inconsistently collected, recorded, and measured making it unreliable.
- Acuma Health’s DDM Solution acquires patient generated health data through robust patient engagement and connected devices. Patient generated health data includes physical activity levels, sleep patterns and quality, and physiological measures such as heart rate, body temperature, and weight, among others. This data enables PS assessments to be made in a timely manner and to assess current functional capacity, and the likelihood of adverse events and survival after treatment.